- Great Preparation is a trait common to every house painter worth his salt. This is the stage of the project that will make or break the look of the wall when it is finished, and far too many painters skimp on time and effort when it comes to preparing the surfaces to be painted.
- Precision Edging is another thing to look for when selecting a home painter. Wavy corners and unclean lines are tell tale signs of an inexperienced painter. Professionals have mastered their craft in a way that allows them to produce a finished look not achievable by untrained hands.
- Even Coverage goes hand in hand with the precision edging topic. Great painters not only know how to keep a brush in a straight line, they also know how to spread the paint evenly across the surface to avoid flashing, roller marks, holidays, and the picture frame effect.
- Completes Projects on Schedule is another tale tell sign of a quality house painter. It's widely known that many house painters enjoy a wide variety of beverages, and those guys aren't always the most dependable bunch. This one and the next one you have to do a bit of extra footwork for by calling previous clients or reading reviews, but it is time well spent. You can prevent yourself from hiring someone known to not keep their word.
- Completes Projects on Budget falls into the same area as finishing on schedule, but it deserves it's own mention. There are a great number of painting companies that have reputations for bidding low to secure the project, only to use clever guises to push up the final total on the job. These guys are not rookies, but they are certainly not professionals, either.
- Solving Problems is a trait you may not think about when it comes to hiring a house painter, but it is very important none the less. Almost every painting project has an unseen variable, possibly 2 or 3. A solid painter is going to avoid billing clients unnecessarily by finding solutions that don't require additional funding, or at the very least do their best to not gouge the customer in such situations. They are also much more pleasant to work with in terms of reaching a desirable outcome and finished look for your home.
- Dependable, Trustworthy, and Accountable are the words a person might use to describe any company who exhibits the 6 other traits described above. If the painting company you are considering, or any other company for that matter, has customer reviews that repeatedly say words like those, you've likely found people that you want to do business with. There are exceptions to every rule though, so checking reviews at multiple sources is usually a good idea.
There are literally thousands of house painters in the United States alone. With that many people practicing the trade, how do you know which one is the right one for you? That, my friends, is a great question. Helping you find the answer is the purpose of this article. This should give you a good set of general rules to help you choose wisely. A careful review of your prospective painters.....
photographs of previous work should tell you a lot. You can also visit the local BBB and other online resources to check out any customer complaints. So, without further adieu, here are the 7 traits you should look for when you hire your next house painter.